Saturday, June 01, 2013

ONBC: Retro-Rad Super-Star Dad + Tutorial

Hi there!!!

It's the 1st of June and you know what that means! It's time for my monthly edition of OLD NEW BORROWED COOL for the Scrapbook & Cards Today blog! The premise for this blog series goes like this: each month I'll bring you a new post that incorporates something OLD from my stash, something NEW that I might have just picked up and something BORROWED from wherever I can get it to create something COOL to share with you! It's just that easy. 

AND I happen to be super excited about this particular post. There's just something about this project that makes me smile! Tell me if it doesn't do that to you, too!

For a little back story, I'll start by saying I love the month of June for many reasons most especially as it’s the month that my middle son was born. His birthday is always right around Father’s Day so I jokingly tell my husband that since he already got the best present I could give, there’s no need for anything else!  Of course I don’t really mean that as my husband really is one of the most hands-on, involved dads I know. He does so much with our boys, loves that he gets to and as such totally deserves to be celebrated.

So for this month’s ONBC, I thought I’d do just that and make him an extra special Father’s Day card. The "special" will be the surprise element of a gift card holder perfect for tucking in a little extra something on his special day!

Supply List: BasicGrey Hipster PP, brads, chipboard shapes, wood veneers, chipboard alpha; Studio Calico wood veneer; Core’dinations cardstock’ Fiskars star punches; EK Success circle punch; Colorbox chalk ink; Hero Arts ink; Stampin’ Up! ink; Zig pen; Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L.

Now here's how it broke down this month:
OLD: These ancient but sturdy circle punches. I think they were the first punches I ever bought. They don’t look pretty anymore, but they sure do the job and I love them for that! And then of course my Fiskars star punches. While not as old, they are still a staple of my scrappy arsenal, especially being the mom of boys!

NEW: The gorgeous BasicGrey HIPSTER line! You can’t get more masculine than this line and it’s so groovy with its retro hip vibe! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! (See above reference to ‘mom of boys.’)

BORROWED: I snagged this fun gift card holder-making technique from my talented friend Kimber McGray’s book 175 Fresh Card Ideas. I have had the pleasure of working with Kimber on a couple of her books and I always credit her with the fact that I make cards at all! The book is uber-inspiring and full of fun tips and tricks just like this one I’m going to share with you today!

COOL: That super-fun, retro rad gift card holder just waiting to give to Dad for Father’s Day!


Here's how you can make one of your own for that special Dad in your life:
I like standard card sizes so this will fit into your A2 envies with ease and make a 4.25”x5.5” gift card holder. 

You will need:
Cardstock
Scoring board
1.5” circle punch
Craft knife
Adhesive Tape
Trim piece of cardstock to 12”x5.5”. Score at 4.25”, 6” and 7.75” mark.

Fold cardstock as shown along the scored lines.

Holding the center fold together, punch a half circle from the center of the fold using the 1.5” circle punch.

Open the card back up and cut as shown along the center fold to create enough room to slide in a gift card.

Apply strong tape adhesive along the three sides of the center fold as shown (making sure to leave the area containing the circle free). Seal the fold up so it can securely hold the gift card.

And all that’s left is inserting the gift card! 

There you have it! Easy, right?! I hope my husband loves the card as much as I do come Father's Day. (I'm trying to save it but it's hard for me to keep it secret - well...as secret as between you, me and the internet!)

As for me, I'll be holding a yard sale a good part of this weekend. Wish me luck and good weather!
Have an amazing weekend!
xoxo, 
k

No comments: