Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, all.

I wish I didn't rely on a special occassion to say what I am about to say, but if it takes a special day to get it out there to the men I love, then I am grateful for it.

I know I am a lucky girl and I don't take it for granted, I promise. I am lucky because I have had not one, but two, amazing fathers in my life. The first is my Daddy. I will always be my Daddy's girl even though he's been gone almost 9 years now. He was the most wonderful man with an incredibly big heart and he never. ever. not even for one minute. let me forget how much he loved me, not even when he was at his maddest over something ridiculous I had done. I am so grateful every day that God gave me such an amazing father because I know even though I lost him much (much much) too soon, some people are not as fortunate as I was/am to have had such a man in their life. He was my rock, my hero, the person I could always count on and I miss him so much that on days like today I still hurt deep inside.

And then there is the man who inherited me when I was just a rebellious 13-year-old snot. I wanted nothing to do with him, resented the heck out of him and was as trying as I could be so that he wouldn't want anything to do with me...or my mom by default. But he persisted (stubborn man that he is) and he wouldn't give up on me/us. He kept trying and kept trying and his kindness and gentle nature and huge, wonderful laugh eventually won me over. I have nothing but respect for this amazing man who not only is a wonderful dad to me, but the best grandfather my children could ever hope for. I can't thank him enough for loving us.

And that brings me to one more special man in my life. I hate to admit that I don't tell this man often enough how much I appreciate him and what a good Daddy he is to my boys, but I want him to know he is. He is the most involved, hands-on father that I know. He spends every spare minute (and then some) that he has with them and loves it. I'm not sure they realize how valuable that is quite yet, but I do. We are all so blessed to have him and I want him to know how special he is not just today on Father's Day, but everyday.

Happy Father's Day, everyone.

4 comments:

Christine Blain said...

Hi Kelly,
Found you through Nic Howard's blog, and I'm so glad I did!
Beautiful sentiments about your Dad and stepfather; thank you for sharing them. You have expressed what many of us probably feel but don't convey to those we love the most. BTW, gorgeous kids! Christine xx

stephanie howell said...

oh, i'm teary-eyed.
beautiful, my friend.
xo

nic said...

Awww happy father's day to your men!. Which would be in September if you lived in NZ but all the same! Love your post.
nic

Anonymous said...

You sure do have a houseful of gorgeous guys!! TOTALLY outnumbered! I know you enjoy em! Great photo!! jw